Morning Glory Grape-Nuts® Muffins. A breakfast muffin packed with so much healthy goodness – also, no sweetener except for a little bit of honey!!
Who needs a healthy kickstart this month? Yeah, I think that’s all of us. Our bodies can only put up with holiday goodies for so long before revolting and asking us to take care of them again. I didn’t make any New Years resolutions this year because I’ve been trying really hard throughout the year to start implementing small habits one step at a time rather than throw one big, scary, overwhelming goal out there on January 1. Either way you look at it, whether a 2017 resolution or a habit I’ve been working on for years, striving to eat healthier is always close to the top of my list.
This manifests itself in different ways, but the one thing I always come back to knowing that it’s one of the best things I can do for my mind and body is to eat a good, balanced breakfast. It sounds so cliché, but really, there’s such a huge difference between not eating anything and struggling through brain fog instead of taking just a few minutes to nourish your body.
One way to get your nutrients in first thing in the morning is to eat a delicious bowl of Post® cereals like grape-nuts®! A great way that I’ve found to mix up my routine but to still get in my fiber and protein is to add the grape-nuts® to a delicious Morning Glory muffin. These muffins are really an everything but the kitchen sink sort of breakfast, so you can feel free to adapt by adding whatever fruits or nuts or seeds you have on hand. I chose to leave all sugar out except for a teensy bit of honey, but if you’d like them to be sweeter, I’d recommend adding in more honey, some brown sugar, or maple syrup.
To purchase your Grape-Nuts® for this recipe or if you’re looking to make your mornings healthy with another Post® cereal, I’ve got a coupon for ya!! Click here for $1.00 OFF two boxes!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts Cereal
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup shredded apple
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspooons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, let grape-nuts soak in milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Whisk in coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, and honey.
- Stir in apple and carrots.
- Add baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and flour, and stir gently just until all ingredients are combined.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and then fill each muffin halfway with batter. Sprinkle tops with chopped nuts and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on a baking sheet then serve.