Crispy Lemon Thyme Chicken Thighs over red potatoes and thin sliced onions. The easiest marinade ever and makes the most delicious skin!!
We moved last week and although moving is never completely fun, we had a fairly easy time of it. We were lucky to get our keys early, so we packed up a room each day and moved it over in stages. To do this though, we had to decide which rooms we could do without for a few days before everything (as well as ourselves) moved to the new place.
I was ahead on recipe testing last week so we moved the majority of the kitchen a few days in advance and left behind a few key items, one being the all purpose cast iron skillet! Seriously, if you don’t have one of these things, drive over to your local goodwill or antique store right now to score one of these wonder tools. I’ve done everything in mine from cookies to main dishes to sides and camping burritos. Stovetop, oven, over a fire, on the grill…whatever works!
Most times I head to the grocery store with a very specific list, but a few weeks ago I hadn’t yet decided what I wanted to make for one of our dinners so I wandered a bit and got a few simple ingredients. A package of chicken thighs, some baby red potatoes, and a red onion. We had some orange juice at home, so I thought about making a citrusy type all in one skillet meal.
The recipe evolved a bit and I’m bringing you the final goodness. I know you’re going to love it! There’s a note in the recipe below, but I wanted to mention it up here as well. This is a special marinade because it uses lemon juice, which will start to break down the chicken if you let it sit too long. So, it’s not one of those 8-24 hour marinade type situations, it’s a 1-2 hour deal. Even better, if you ask me! Short and sweet 🙂
Just take a look at those ultra crispy chicken skins… and the potatoes and onions peeking out from underneath??! You better believe they’re packed with flavor from the marinade and chicken fat and all the goodness that’s going on in the cast iron skillet. It’s one of those “one dish” meals that I’m a perpetual fan of. You are too? Okay, awesome, I thought so. This one’s for you!
- 4 large chicken thighs, (bone in, skin on)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons, (about ⅓ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb baby red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- *2 tablespoon parsley (for garnish)
- In a large bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients, add chicken thighs, cover, and marinate for 1-2 hours.
- **Do not marinate for longer than this, or the lemon juice will begin to break down the chicken.
- Heat cast iron skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat and add chicken thighs, skin side down.
- Let cook without moving for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the opposite side.
- Remove chicken to a large plate, then pour remaining marinade into the cast iron.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add potatoes and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Add red onion, cook for another 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Place chicken on top of potatoes and onions then place in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature is between 165 and 180 degrees.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.
7 Day Pressure Cooker Meal Plan!
Sign Up for 7 Dinners, 1 Dessert, 1 Breakfast, and a Complete Shopping List!