Savory Breakfast Polenta with Italian Sausage – a savory dish with just a few ingredients. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Thank you SO MUCH to those of you who completed my survey the past few weeks. It has really helped as I’ve been continuing to figure out which direction I want to take with Kitschen Cat. Since I started the blog in January 2015, it’s always been kind of a hodge podge of recipes, and I’m starting to figure out that it’s almost more overwhelming to not have a specific niche or direction to go in. So, I’m trying to slowly narrow down the variety of content and focus in on what YOU are looking for the most! Right now, that’s looking like easy weeknight meals, pressure cooker recipes, and more how-to’s and tutorials for simple cooking techniques.
Although I do love making desserts, I don’t think that Kitschen Cat is the place that many of you are coming for those recipes. And I agree! When I’m looking for a dessert recipe I’ll either go to a dessert blog like Sally’s Baking Addiction or Minimalist Baker, or if it’s a specific tried and true recipe, I’ll just use something simple like AllRecipes. This doesn’t mean that I’ll never be posting another dessert recipe ever again, but it does mean that you’ll be seeing less of them and more simple weeknight recipes instead. I’m sure I’ll sneak in a sweet once a month or so, but everybody needs a little sugar in their life once in awhile, right?
One of my absolutely favorite things to do on a lazy Saturday or a weeknight after dinner is to walk over to our neighborhood library, check out a stack of cookbooks, and settle in on the couch to find some new recipes. A few weeks ago I checked out a Spanish cookbook as well as a Mediterranean cookbook and have really been loving getting more acquainted with those flavors and methods of cooking. Many of the dishes are much more simple than I would have assumed, and they also use a fewer number of ingredients than other cuisines I’ve come across.
Something I really like about these recipes is that they don’t use a lot of spices, but instead the ingredients themselves (the produce, the meat, the grains, etc) are the main flavoring for the dish. So, in this breakfast polenta recipe, you cook the tomatoes down with the browned sausage and it creates a lovely caramelization before turning into a sauce of sorts. No need for any other herbs, spices, or flavorings!
The cookbook that this recipe came from is called The Mediterranean Table: Simple Recipes for Healthy Living on the Mediterranean Diet if you’re interested in checking it out! All of the recipes are very approachable, so fresh and tasty, and don’t use any ingredients that you won’t be able to find in your local grocery store.
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which means that if you choose to purchase an item after clicking on this link, Kitschen Cat receives a small percentage of the profits. In other words, you’re helping to keep Kitschen Cat alive — so thank you!!
- 3¼ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked polenta
- 1 (16oz) bag frozen yellow corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4oz Pecorino cheese, divided
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and stir together the water, polenta, corn, salt, and pepper in a large glass baking dish or a cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the polenta is soft.
- Add 3 ounces of cheese to the polenta, stir, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While polenta is cooking, add the sausage to a large skillet over medium high heat and cook for 5-6 minutes, until browned.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes, cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until tomatoes start to break down, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and let simmer for another 10 minutes until almost all juice is gone and the mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- To serve, scoop polenta mixture onto a plate, top with sausage mixture, and sprinkle with some of the remaining cheese.
7 Day Pressure Cooker Meal Plan!
Sign Up for 7 Dinners, 1 Dessert, 1 Breakfast, and a Complete Shopping List!