- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup softened butter or shortening
- ⅔ cup milk
Cranberry Orange Swirl
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, white sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt). Add in softened butter. Work with a pastry blender or your hands until butter is incorporated into the flour mixture. You should have a soft, almost sandy texture.
- Add milk. Start with ½ cup and slowly add remainder until dough is soft, but not sticky. You may not use the full ⅔ cup. Mix dough until it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and a ball starts to form.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out with a rolling pin until you have a rectangle about 13 x 9 inches.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together chopped cranberries, orange zest, and orange juice, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Brush melted butter onto dough, followed by brown sugar and the cranberry mixture.
- Starting on the long end, roll up into a log. With a sharp knife, cut into 12 biscuits.
- In 9 x 13 pan or 2 cake pans, coat with cooking spray. Place cut biscuits into the pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.