I’m not sure if decorative Thanksgiving socks are a thing, but if so, hold onto them because these Brussels Sprouts will knock them right off your feet!!
I’ve never been a fan of sprouts but Kev absolutely loves them and so every once in awhile I’ll experiment with different recipes, all the while trying to appreciate the taste a bit more each time. This recipe is the turning point for me I think.
I’ve been spending my days in the Saveur New Classics Cookbook the past few weeks and this recipe stuck out to me right away. It’s such a great cookbook because everything is divided into such specific categories and so there’s a separate category just for Brussels Sprouts recipes. I wouldn’t have normally stopped in that section, but reading the description for “sweet roasted Brussels Sprouts with roasted garlic and a silky mornay sauce along with a zesty lemon panko topping” made me stop in my tracks.
Both Kev and I are the youngest in our family, so we’re still at the point where we usually just show up to family Thanksgiving Dinner and are commissioned with bringing a side or a dessert. I’m still wondering what age I’ll be when I learn how to make a Turkey! I think it’s a true mark of adulthood, and I”m wondering if I’ll ever reach it.
If you’ve been commissioned to bring a side to Thanksgiving this year and are looking for something outside of the Green Bean Casserole or Marshmallow Sweet Potato realm, these sprouts will not disappoint! They might even be so good that you’ll be promoted to doing the Turkey next year! Or maybe that’s a demotion, depending on how you look at it… 🙂
I mean, come on!! Look at that zesty, crispy crunchy bread crumb topping resting gently on top of the creamy mornay sauce and the nutty, bacon infused sprouts. There’s absolutely nothing to be nervous about if you’re not a sprout lover yet – you’ll love ’em!
Happy Thanksgiving y’all!
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Yield: 8
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter (affiliate), melted
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (affiliate)
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (affiliate)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make a folded pouch from aluminum foil and place unpeeled garlic inside along with 2 tablespoons olive oil and fold sides in to seal. Roast in oven for 15 minutes, let cool, then remove peels and smash to create a garlic paste.
- To make the gratin topping, combine panko, melted butter, parsley, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, ½ cup of gruyere, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir gently and set aside.
- On a large baking sheet, toss halved sprouts in 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread out into a single layer and roast in 400 degree oven until starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and bacon, stirring frequently until bacon is starting to crisp and shallots begin to caramelize. Add reserved garlic paste, remaining lemon zest, and lemon juice. Remove from heat and toss with Brussels Sprouts in large bowl.
- To make the Mornay sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add flour to make a roux and cook until it starts to toast, about 30 seconds. Add cream and thyme, whisking to avoid lumps. Heat to a simmer and stir continuously, about 2 minutes. Add remaining gruyere and all the parmigiano. Stir until cheese melts and then season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Pour sprouts into a 10” oval baking dish and pour mornay sauce over top then sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Cover loosely with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook 5 more minutes until top is nicely browned. Serve warm.
Other Delicious Sides You’ll Love!
Pressure Cooker Sweet Corn And Cherry Tomato Risotto
Pressure Cooker Parmesan Cauliflower Mash
Pressure Cooker Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes