Made in the pressure cooker in only 10 minutes, these oats are drizzled with a cream cheese and greek yogurt “frosting” to spice up your morning breakfast!
Guys, I’m in love with this oatmeal! I’ve served it to quite a few of our AirBnb guests in the past and it’s been a hit every time. And guess what?? I’m out again to convince you of your need for a pressure cooker! For this steel cut oats recipe and every other grain you could possibly imagine, I throw all my ingredients into the pressure cooking pot and it works the magic. 10 minute prep time, which basically is just to shred your carrots, then in go all the ingredients followed by a quick stir and then you get to chill for the next 20 minutes until your oats are ready! Yes please.
This week is a whirlwind for me. Are you feeling the same way?? I’ve got all sorts of fun blog posts coming up in the next few days along with a bajillion projects to finish for my other job (the one I actually get paid for) and then we’re leaving for a weekend in New Orleans on Friday morning!! We haven’t gone much of anywhere since we moved to Austin back in October and although sometimes it still feels like we’re on an extended vacation just living down here, it’s not the same as completely getting away. We’re going for a day of the NOLA Jazz Fest on Saturday and then the rest of the time we’ll be exploring! Who has recommendations on what we should be doing?? Both touristy suggestions and off the beaten path would be perfect 🙂
In prep for busy weeks like this, I love having a big batch of oatmeal to get us through the week. I actually made a double batch of the recipe below and we’ll be eating on it for the next few days. It’s super healthy (omit the cream cheese if you don’t want those calories) and sticks to your ribs so you can make it through your morning without thinking about when lunch is coming. If you still haven’t decided if you need a pressure cooker or not, you can cook this on the stovetop for about 30 minutes on medium low heat.
Let’s do this crazy week!!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts/seeds (I used a mixture of walnuts , almonds, and roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Add all ingredients but the “frosting” ingredients to your pressure cooker.
- Stir and lock lid into place.
- Set for 10 minutes on high pressure and then do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release to let any remaining pressure out.
- Oatmeal will be a bit soupy – let sit for 5 minutes.
- While oatmeal is cooking, whip together softened cream cheese, yogurt, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Dish up oatmeal and drizzle “frosting” over top for serving!