Recipe slightly adapted from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen
- 1 lb fusilli
- 1 lb frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 11 ounces whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot, then add 1 tablespoon of salt and fusilli. Boil, stirring often, until just al dente.
- Stir spinach into water and boil for 1 minute.
- Drain pasta and spinach, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water to use later.
- In same pot, with pasta and spinach set aside, sauté garlic and cayenne pepper in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir pasta and spinach back into pot and turn off heat.
- Add ricotta, heavy cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- If the pasta is still a little too thick, slowly add in reserved pasta water and stir until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, gently stir, and serve!