Life Changing Olive Bread is rocking my world right now. It’s incredibly easy, super savory and delicious, and a definite crowd pleaser!
Can you believe we’re into October already? It’s time for bread baking, campfires, starting to bring out those sweaters (okay, maybe I can do that in January), and lots of cozy soups and stews!
We hosted a housewarming party this weekend and I was dying to make some classic fall soup, so my favorite Loaded Slow Cooker (or instant pot) Chili made an appearance as well as my favorite EASY chicken noodle soup. Kev had two beautiful loaves of sourdough that we served and our amazing friends brought the rest of the party food! I’m convinced fall is the absolute best time of year to have people over because all the best foods start coming out and the weather is glorious enough to be outside without sweating your face off.
A few weeks ago I was working on my meal plan and editorial calendar for the month and for some reason I couldn’t get the idea of a rosemary olive bread out of my head. It just needed to happen, which is funny since olives aren’t something I normally cook with.
Olives are one of those foods that I’m actually just recently starting to like. I’m starting slow with the more mild olives, but I think I’ll be ready to graduate to the more potent ones soon! It’s also one of those foods (along with pickles) that I will randomly crave – confusing, since both pickles and olives are foods that I’m still on the edge about. But, the more I eat them, the more I’m coming around.
After testing this recipe for LIFE CHANGING olive bread a couple of times, I’m pretty positive I’ve come up with the best version possible. There’s no fussing involved, it uses pretty basic ingredients, and even if you’re not a baker, you’ll do just fine with this one!
The smells coming from the oven while this bread is baking, and then even more so after you sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and it gets all crusty and nutty and toasty are sure to bring tears to your eyes. As I’m writing this I’m on slice #4 and there’s no sign of stopping anytime soon. SEND HELP.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 2 T sugar
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 6 ounces whole, pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In large mixing bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Mix in olive oil, salt, rosemary, and olives. Stir to combine.
- Add bread and all purpose flour, mix well then dump out onto a board sprinkled with flour.
- Knead for 3-5 minutes, adding flour to keep from sticking to the board.
- Form dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, and cover with a dish towel.
- Let rise for 45 minutes, remove from bowl, knead for 1-2 minutes, form into a bowl, and place back into the same bowl.
- Let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove dough, gently form into an oval loaf and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Make a couple of slits in the top of the dough using a sharp knife then place in oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, rub the top with a tablespoon of butter, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Let cool then slice and serve!