A fun dessert for 4th of July with a classic sugar cookie base, a scrumptious cream cheese frosting, and your choice of red and blue fruit!
This will be our first 4th of July in Texas and I’m expecting 2 things of out you Austin! #1. Crazy heat that will force me to be swimming the majority of the day, and #2. Some darn good food!! I totally wanna participate in bringing some festive food to the 4th of July table, so I’ll be coming with these lovely mini fruit pizzas all decked out in their patriotic best.
Side note: I often forget that this blog is called Kitschen Cat, so here’s the cutest cat in the world for your enjoyment 😉 I’m calling these his “1 Year Pics”.
Okay, let’s bring our focus back to these cookies. 3 completely easy steps and you’re ready to party! Mix up these no-roll sugar cookies that are light and fluffy and provide the perfect base for the rest of our toppings. While those are in the oven, whip up your scrumptious cream cheese frosting and cut any of your berries/fruit that you might want to decorate with. Finally, let your cookies cool a bit, frost them, plop some fruit on top, and voila! Cookies fit for the best of parties 🙂
Don’t forget to share and PIN these! Let’s share some festive love 🙂
Sugar Cookie Recipe from Allrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Black Plums, Red Plums
- With electric mixer, cream butter, shortening and sugars until completely combined.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Ad flour, baking soda, and salt and gently stir just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking sheet with either cooking spray or covering in parchment paper.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls and place on baking sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass in white sugar, and gently press onto dough ball to flatten.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, whip together all frosting ingredients, adding more or less milk if the mixture is too creamy or too stiff.
- Wash fruit and slice into desired shapes for decorating mini fruit pizzas.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins