I found a meme a few months ago that’s now a favorite phrase around our household (usually having to do with chips and guac). It’s definitely applicable to these cookies as well…
I’m wondering if many of you know these cookies by another name or if the whole oatmeal, coconut, buttery, crispy edged, soft chewy center deliciousness is a new thing for you! I can’t even explain the deliciousness to you at this present moment – it’s a “you had to be there” moment or in this case, it’s a “you have to make these right now” kind of thing. There’s really no reason not to make them – it’s Thursday, which means tomorrow is Friday, which means you ABSOLUTELY NEED a cookie jar full of these yummies ready for the weekend.
We made these growing up and it took me a while to finally admit I liked them because the coconut was throwing me off. I don’t know what it is with being young and not liking coconut, but you’ll be hard pressed to find a little kiddo who likes it. They’ll love these though – just leave the coconut part out of the title and they’ll be begging for more!
Everybody needs a go-to cookie recipe for times when you have friends coming over and want to greet them with some just out of the oven warm and chewy cookies. I have a great idea – THIS can be your go-to recipe! It’ll change your life.
Glad we’ve decided that.
Now all that’s missing is your glass of milk. Cheers!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl or with your electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time and beat to incorporate. Add in vanilla and beat again.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and orange zest to batter and mix slowly until just combined.
- Add oatmeal and shredded coconut and stir gently to combine.
- On large baking sheet lightly greased or covered with parchment paper, spoon dough by rounded teaspoon.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until middle is still slightly doughy and edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins