Nothing is a bigger guilty pleasure than Ramen noodles. Yes, we’re going there today. Back to a time where you ate Ramen noodles 7 meals a week because you didn’t want to walk all the way to the school cafeteria and ramen took .04 seconds to make, so it was the obvious choice. The bad news is that we can’t live on Ramen the rest of our lives, but the good news is that there’s definitely a time and place for it and that time is now!
Ramen has been appearing at our house about every other week lately and it’s been so much fun experimenting with throwing different ingredients in here to create the perfect combination. The broth is extremely forgiving and can be adapted in whatever way your taste buds like. Right now I’m in love with the salty savory sweet spicy combo that comes from the whole cinnamon sticks, star anise, sriracha, soy, some veggies, and chicken broth.
This is such a budget friendly meal. When I decided that this was going to be a ramen week, all I actually had to buy was the Ramen noodles themselves for a grand total of $0.39. All of the spices and condiments are pantry staples for me and then I threw in whatever vegetables I had in my fridge then topped it off with a poached egg. You absolutely HAVE to add the poached egg. Don’t let it scare you either. Just use your stirring spoon to make a swirly tornado in your bubbling broth, then drop your eggs in one at a time and continue to swirl for a few seconds. They’ll cook in less than a minute and add a delicious richness to your broth.
You guys, that’s all! A delicious broth base, your choice of veggies, throw in your ramen noodles and an egg, and dinner is ready!
Simple Homemade Ramen
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth (affiliate)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cinnamon (affiliate) stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (affiliate)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (affiliate)
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (affiliate)
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 3/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 pkgs ramen noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 small jalapeno
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In large stockpot, combine water, chicken broth, onion, garlic, cinnamon stick, anise, and carrots. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain broth then add back in onions if you want.
- Pour broth back into saucepan and bring back to a simmer. Stir in rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha, sliced mushrooms, and purple cabbage.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes until mushrooms and cabbage are soft. Create a tornado in your broth by swirling it around with your stirring spoon. Crack in eggs one at a time and continue to swirl as your eggs poach. They will be ready in about a minute.
- Turn off heat
- Place dried ramen noodles into broth and let sit for 3 minutes until noodles are softened. Add sliced jalapeno and cilantro and serve hot!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
Other Asian Noodle Recipes You’ll Love!
Pressure Cooker Simple Sesame Noodles