Pressure Cooker Savory Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is a dreamy, creamy mac with fall flavors that make you want more and more!
You all know I have a mild obsession with mac and cheese, right? This is mac and cheese recipe #5 to appear on Kitschen Cat, and although the others are real good, I think this one takes the prize for the best one yet!
I joined the virtual pumpkin party hosted by Sara over at Cake Over Steak and ohhhhh goodness gracious, you should see the rest of the recipes that bloggers have created! There’s over 100 pumpkin filled dishes that will make your mouth start watering just reading the titles. Seriously, there are some super talented people part of this party, and I’m honored to even be involved.
Ok, let’s dial it in and get back to focusing on this mac. I went back and forth between creating a sweet or a savory pumpkin dish, but once I finally decided on savory, I knew I had to go with a mac and cheese variation. It had to include pumpkin, but after that I had free reign to do what I wanted. I wanted to create a recipe that was festive and screamed fall, but not too crazy that the picky eaters in your family wouldn’t be interested.
Let’s walk through the recipe, shall we? You’re going to start by sautéing some sausage in your pressure cooker. Once it’s all nice and crumbly, throw in a little butter and some finely chopped sundried tomatoes. This is where the magic starts to happen. Lastly, in goes your whole wheat macaroni (whole wheat is a must – regular pasta will get a bit too mushy), water, and salt. Lock your PC lid and set the timer to 1, 2, 3, 4, FIVE minutes. That’s it!
When the time is up, do a quick release and stir in your evaporated milk, pepper, pumpkin puree, more salt, and spinach. If you’re not a fan of the greens, leave the spinach out. If you’re a vegetarian, leave the sausage out! Easy peasy, and the flavor won’t be affected hardly at all.
- 1/2 lb mild italian sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sundried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 16 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 15oz can evaporated milk
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- Sauté sausage in pressure cooker, crumbling as you go, until cooked all the way through.
- Add sundried tomatoes, butter, crushed red pepper, cayenne, and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir.
- Turn pressure cooker off and add macaroni and warm water.
- Stir, then lock lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When time is up, do a quick release and add evaporated milk, pumpkin puree, and remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Stir until mixture starts to thicken. Sprinkle in both cheeses and stir until cheese is all melted and coating the noodles.
- Add spinach, stir until wilted, then serve!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins