Craving soup but still waiting for Fall to get here? Dairy free and gluten free, this summer corn and zucchini soup full of fresh seasonal veggies will hit the spot!
I’m going to pretend like all of you are going to read this post, but I know you’re actually sitting out on your lawn or maybe you’ve done something crazy like driving 9 hours just to see the eclipse! I will not be viewing the eclipse today for one of two reasons.
#1. I don’t have glasses and although Kev tells me that I can look at it for 1 second, I really like having eyes so I’m not listening to him.
#2. Life is busy. Ha! My schedule today is crammed full with all sorts of fun things. Like figuring out if we should switch dental insurance for my upcoming wisdom tooth surgery (BLECH) and other fun stuff like cleaning our place (for the 3rd time this week) so our landlord can show it to interested new tenants. Oh yeah, and driving 30 minutes north to turn in our deposit for our new duplex we’ll be moving into sometime in September. Ohp, almost forgot about things like, oh, work. You know, just a peachy Monday over here 😉
BUT, I AM making another large batch of yogurt in my new Instant Pot, so that’s gonna make everything better. I made a mini batch over the weekend and it was gone by that evening… I can’t even tell you how thick and creamy it is!! I’ll be posting the process soon, because this is simply not something I can keep to myself!
This summer corn and zucchini soup has taken the place of my all-time (current favorite) soup. I’m not sure if I’m ready to give it the big title of all-time favorite, so for now, it will have to be content with all-time current favorite. I’m one of those people who loves soup at all times of the year and Kev is a little meh when it comes to that. He never complains, but I do feel bad making him eat soup for dinner after he’s biked home from work in 105 degree weather and then he has to eat soup even hotter than that.
This soup has gotten a free pass from him though! I made it again a few days ago and told him that I was going to freeze it because we really didn’t need any extra food in our fridge right then. He was sad! We ended up devouring it before it made it to the freezer, so we didn’t have to face that problem.
The first few times I made it I added about a cup of cream at the end to give it more of a thick creamy chowder taste, but this final time I accidentally left it out and was actually quite happy! It makes the soup dairy free, takes out some of the calories, and lightens it up for summer eating even more. The color might not be as pretty, but I don’t think the taste is compromised at all.
I’ve made it using both fresh corn cut right from the cob as well as frozen corn. Of course I think the fresh corn gives it that extra boost, but frozen corn gets a gold star from me as well. Whatever is on hand and easiest for you is the right choice!
Summer Corn and Zucchini Soup
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1 tablespoon butter (affiliate)
- 3 thick strips of bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes, cut into small pieces (1/4–1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large pot or dutch oven, fry bacon until crispy.
- Add onion and carrots and sauté for 5-7 minutes until veggies start to soften.
- Add garlic, thyme, potatoes, water, and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down and let simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add corn, zucchini, salt, pepper, parsley, and cayenne and simmer for 5-7 minutes until zucchini is easily pierced through with a fork.
- Remove half of the soup from the pot and pulse in a blender 8-10 times. Add pureed mixture back into the pot, stir, and serve!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Other Soups You’ll Love!
Provencal Summer Vegetable Soup
Pressure Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
Pressure Cooker Spring Chicken Soup