I’ve finally found THE BEST EVER chocolate chip cookies recipe. The secret: ground oats, ALL butter, and no chill time. It’s seriously the best!!
My love for cookies during quarantine has gone off the charts. It just seems right on those days where you wonder if you’ll ever get to sit in a restaurant again or if you’ll ever be able to go to a park without having to tell your toddler that the slides are closed for the 500th time. Cookies just have a way of making things better.
I’ve tried dozens of chocolate chip cookie recipes in my day and up until this point, none of them quite cut it for me. I’m not a fan of the ultra fluffy, nothing to the dough type of cookie, but when I tried adding a more coarse flour in the past or rolled oats, that was just too much. Too healthy tasting for a good old chocolate chip cookie.
Did I mention that I’m impatient when it comes to making cookies? I almost never heed chill times, and as a result, get less than optimal bakes on my cookies. When I stumbled across the recipe for these cookies in my trusty Joy of Cooking cookbook, I knew I had to give them a try. They called for ground oats, chopped pecans (optional in my book), and an immediate baking time.
The batter is the perfect consistency. Not too sticky, not too tough. The cookies flatten into the perfect thickness when baked, they’re chewy and soft at the same time but don’t fall apart, and don’t even get me started on how gooood the batter tastes. Eat it at your own risk with the raw egg, or just omit it if you want to make the dough for solely dough eating purposes.
I know everyone has a preference when it comes to what their perfect chocolate chip cookie should look and taste like, so lets be kind to each other, shall we? These are the best ever chocolate chip cookies in my opinion, but I also respect the thin and crispy lovers, the soft and cake like aficionados, the no nuts crew, the chocolate chunk peeps, and whatever else floats your boat. We can all be friends! Let’s bake!Print
- 1 cup (2 sticks of butter ) at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups oats, ground until coarse in blender or food processor
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- **optional** ¾ cup pecans, ground until coarse in blender or food processor
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and mix briefly until combined. Do not overmix.
- Add ground oats, pecans if using, and chocolate chips. Gently stir until combined.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper, then drop 1 inch cookie dough balls onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool.