Breakfast black bean and egg quesadillas are a hearty, protein packed breakfast that will kick start your day with fresh ingredients and bold flavors!
Hey guys! Hope you’re having a fabulous day, and if it’s not going so great, I hope things start going your way soon 🙂 I’m super tired this morning and have been doing a variety of things to get my energy level up. Iced tea, lemon infused water, lots of protein, and jumping jacks have all been attempted… We went swimming at one of our favorite Austin spots yesterday and so my thought is that all the sunshine and water has just got me a little exhausted today! Enter delicious breakfast quesadillas.
We’ve been eating oatmeal for breakfast the last couple of weeks but we woke up today and just weren’t feeling it, so the first thing that came to mind were these favorite quesadillas of mine! It’s a recipe from Cookie + Kate, which is one of my all time favorite vegetarian blogs. Check her out if you haven’t hear of her before – she has so many great recipes that I often turn to for fresh, healthy, and meatless meals.
Today was the first time I’ve made these egg filled quesadillas for breakfast – in the past it’s been a dinner sort of thing. After this morning though, I think this will need to be a regular occurrence. Because 3 words. Guacamole for breakfast. How can you say no??
If you’re not feeling the spinach or black beans for breakfast, but you usually like a classic egg, pepper, and onion omelet, use those ingredients and throw them in the quesadilla instead! Whatever you decide to do, I’m sure it will be awesome! I’d love to hear the fun combinations you come up with – if you’re on Instagram, be sure to take a picture and tag Kitschen Cat….and, it better be smothered in deliciously perfect guacamole. 🙂
Recipe slightly adapted from Cookie + Kate
Scrambled egg quesadillas
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium sized flour tortillas
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 3 packed tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed or minced
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- In skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and stir in spinach, until completely wilted.
- Add black beans, cayenne pepper, and salt and heat through, then add eggs and cook until almost set. It’s okay if they’re still runny, they will cook through when you make the quesadilla.
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat and layer tortilla with egg mixture, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and a few drops of hot sauce.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted and brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat for remaining quesadilla.
- To make guacamole, combine all ingredients in small bowl. Serve quesadilla with guacamole, extra cilantro, and hot sauce drizzled on top!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins