Perfectly soft and chewy cookies flavored with molasses, ginger, and cloves.
I think I’ve officially been labeled as the cookie lady. Whenever we get invited over to a friend’s house, I just have this automatic reaction that I need to bring a big plate of cookies fresh from the oven. I always have butter or shortening on hand as well as all the sugars, flour, and spices, so cookies seem an obvious choice! There are a few recipes I go to time and time again and this is one I just discovered a couple of months ago but have made at least once a week since. I was skeptical that the recipe uses shortening because I’m usually a butter gal, but it creates the perfect soft cookie that I can’t get enough of!
It’s Wednesday, friends!! Wednesday!!! This is our crazy mad rush of a gap week between our trip to New Orleans last weekend and our backpacking trip to Zion National Park next week. It’s one of those weeks where I’m having to catch up on everything I should have done last week and work ahead on everything I’m going to miss next week!! Eeeeekk!! Anybody know what I’m talking about? It’s big batches of cookies like this that get me through.
You’ll never need or want another cookie recipe again, I promise. This one’ll knock your socks off!!
Recipe from Baked by an Introvert
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, to roll the cookies in
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With electric mixer or in large mixing bowl, whip shortening with granulated and brown sugar.
- Add in egg and molasses and mix.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix just until combined. It will be a very soft dough.
- Roll the dough into balls 1 inch in diameter, then roll in granulated sugar and place on greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins