Cake!! We were eating salad for dinner last night about 8pm and I was complaining about it of course, cause salad is just one of those things that I eat cause I know I should. Not my favorite. Kev made a comment that as far as salads go, it was about as good as it could be, but I was wishing for a donut or a big slice of cake anyways. Ugh, maybe someday I’ll grow up. Anyways, I found some beautiful plums at the grocery store this morning, so I knew a fruit cake of sorts was in order!
I call this my Nutty Plum Kuchen, and for those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, I didn’t either until I stumbled upon a recipe in my Joy of Cooking cookbook for a Fruit Kuchen. It’s the German word for cake!. Kuchen is so much funner to say though, right?? Especially if you say it with correct pronunciation; Kooo *clearing throat noise* en.
This cake is so soft and buttery and the addition of the sweet, but tart plums and the nutty topping is just crying to be devoured! I’ll gladly oblige. You too??
Nutty Plum Kuchen
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 8
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (affiliate), room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sliced peeled plums (peaches or nectarines will work too)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts (affiliate), pistachios, almonds)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (affiliate)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9×2 inch round cake pan.
- Cream butter and sugar together then add eggs one at a time and whip until just combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to wet ingredients and stir gently.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and spread to the fill the pan.
- Top with sliced, peeled plums and sprinkle chopped nuts of your choice over top.
- Stir white sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cake and pulling the toothpick out. If it’s clean, your cake is done!
- Let cake cool then slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
Other Pastry Recipes You’ll Love Baking Up!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Stuffed Puffed Pastry Donuts
Fruity Granola Breakfast Pizza