Today’s Friday! And better yet, it’s a super exciting Friday because we’re going back to Minnesota for a good friend’s wedding and also will get to see all our friends we’ve so dearly missed since our move. Moving has been so awesome in so many ways but the thought of getting to spend 4 days in a row with people who know us and we can completely be ourselves around will be so refreshing. Now, if only I could smuggle these Oatmeal Cookie Cherry Bars on the plane ride…
I created this recipe for a few reasons.
#1. It’s almost Valentines Day! Well, sorta. Whether you’re a V-Day celebrator or not, everyone enjoys a festive red dessert!
#2. It’s so incredibly easy. Actually, I think it’s easier than just baking a few pans of cookies. You don’t have to individually scoop the balls of dough, you just spread half the dough in the bottom of the pan, pour the cherry filling over top, then plop the remaining dough on top and bake!
#3. Kev and I haven’t been eating meat the last few weeks and for some reason I’ve been craving sweets even more than normal. We’ll be sitting around at night and I’ll usually end up wandering into the kitchen and either making our nightly staple of kettle corn or something a little more dessert-y like these!
How can you survive this weekend without these? It might be possible, but I’m sure you’d be much happier baking a pan of these delicious treats and cozying up with a good book while you wait out the rest of winter!
Oatmeal Cookie Cherry Bars
- Yield: 10-12 bars 1x
- 1/2 cup butter (affiliate), softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (affiliate)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (affiliate)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl or with electric mixer, beat softened butter and sugars together.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating on high speed for 1 minutes.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Mix just until fully combined. Place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Spray 8×8 or 11×7 baking dish with cooking spray. Pat 2/3 of the oatmeal cookie dough into bottom of dish, creating a solid layer. Top with 1 cup cherry pie filling. Dollop the remaining cookie dough on top of the cherries, covering as much of the pan as possible (it will spread as it cooks).
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, depending if if you would like your bars more on the gooey or crisp side.
Other Bars You’ll Love Baking Up!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shortbread Bars
Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars
3 thoughts on “Oatmeal Cookie Cherry Bars”
Comments are closed.