It’s Christmas week. Yayyyy! I’ve consumed more sugar already than I want to admit, and there are still so many days to go before the sugar festivities will come to an end. Kev told me last week that he didn’t feel we had enough Christmas treats around the house, so I may have overcompensated a little. Sugar cookies kicked off the weekend, followed by some chocolate chip coconut banana bread, and now these gooey shortbread bars. Sorry dentist!
Believe it or not, these treats started out as Cherry Mash bars. Ha! I bought all the ingredients for Cherry Mash but then went to 3 different grocery stores and couldn’t find cherry chips anywhere, so I had to move on. Turns out, the majority of the ingredients I bought were able to transform into this 4 layer bar of marshmallowy, peanutty, chocolatey, shortbready wonderful goodness.
I don’t have a candy thermometer, so I’ve been trying to find recipes that are on the verge of being a candy, but don’t take any special attention beyond what I can offer. These are a perfect solution and I absolutely love the salty and sweet aspect of the super salty roasted peanuts coupled with the sweet marshmallow and chocolate. They only take about 20 minutes to make and then you stow them away in the fridge for around 4 hours to set up.
It’s a perfect snacking treat to bring to holiday parties, because you can cut them into bite size morsels and they’ll be gobbled up in no time! The other option is to make these all for yourself to help you get through last minute nighttime store runs and present wrapping marathons. It’s your choice!
Merry Christmas Eve Eve Eve.Print
- ½ cup butter , softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows
- ¼ cup peanut butter chips *Optional
- ¼ cup salted, roasted peanuts
Peanut Butter Filling
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- peanuts to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 baking pan with foil, then coat with cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, flour, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla. Cut butter into dry ingredients using pastry blender or use an electric mixer to combine until texture resembles sand. Pat mixture firmly into the prepared baking pan until you have an even layer. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Take shortbread out of oven and top with marshmallows. Place back in oven for 3-5 minutes, or until marshmallows have melted, but not started to turn brown. Take out of oven and sprinkle with peanut butter chips and salted peanuts.
- In mixing bowl, combine melted butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Spread mixture over warm shortbread and marshmallows.
- In small saucepan over low heat or using the microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening until there are no lumps left. Spread over top of peanut butter layer.
- Sprinkle peanuts on top and place in refrigerator for 4+ hours to harden. Once hardened, remove from pan, unwrap foil from around shortbread, and cut into small squares to serve.
- Category: Dessert