Decadent and simple to make, these bars are sure to be a crowd pleaser that no one can pass up!
I don’t know about your part of the country, but it’s been raining here in TX for the last 3 days and it just makes me so happy! I was under the impression that we still had 2 months of full blazing sun summer left (and maybe we do), but for now it’s drizzly and gloomy and cozy and I’m totally fine with that. It’s been awhile since I’ve felt like turning my oven on, let alone spend enough time in the kitchen to bake something but when I woke up to rain again yesterday morning, I knew it had to be a cookie baking, doors and windows open, air off, lazy music playing sort of day.
Have you ever made brown butter? Please tell me you have. Or if you haven’t, don’t leave me!! It’s so incredibly easy and allows you to add a full stick of butter to your dessert AND add it to recipe title so it sounds fancy when friends ask what you’ve made ;). Throw it out there and see what sort of response you get. You’ll most likely get some glazed over eyes and then you get to sell brown butter to them like it’s some sort of goddess ingredient (which in fact it is!!).
Okay, here’s how you do it. You’re going to take a stick of butter and place it in skillet over medium(ish) heat and melt it while constantly stirring. The first time you do it, it’s helpful to use a pan with a light colored bottom as you’ll need to monitor the color of the butter. The butter is going to melt down and then it’s going to get really foamy. Don’t stop there, you still have a few moments to go. Continue to stir and watch the color. It’s going to turn from a butter yellow color to more of a golden beige or tan, then finally to a nutty brown! That’s when you know you’re ready to party. There will also be some flecks of black swirling around in your pan – that’s also good. Let it cool for a few minutes before adding to your recipe and then go to town! Add it to anything you normally use butter in and then invite me over for samples 🙂
These cookie bars are the brownbuttery bomb. They’re so moist and nutty and chewy and filled with chocolate that there’s no way you can pass them up!
As always, don’t forget to share with your friends and be sure to pin on Pinterest. That’s how we continue to grow this blog that I love sharing with you! 🙂
Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 20 bars 1x
Recipe from Wine and Glue
- 1/2 cup butter (affiliate)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (affiliate), packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla (affiliate) extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In small skillet over medium high heat, melt butter, stirring constantly until butter foams and then starts to turn golden brown with dark flecks floating around. (Watch THIS VIDEO if you need more instruction).
- In stand mixer, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and browned butter until fully mixed.
- Add in vanilla and eggs, one at a time and mix until combined. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides!
- Add flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, and mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently stir in chocolate chunks with a spoon and then spread dough into 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes and let completely cool before cutting.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Other Chocolate Cookie Recipes You’ll Love!
Wrinkly Crinkly Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jumbo Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 thoughts on “Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars”
If it were up to me, brown butter would be a food group. Seriously, I can’t even imagine how addicting these things are! They look AMAZING!
Ha! I know, right?? How many recipes can I squeeze in brown butter before it gets to be too much…
Comments are closed.