This soup is SO flavorful, hearty but light, and full of fresh, seasonal goodies!
I’m leaaaavving, on a jet plane, don’t know when….
JK, I’ll be back next week. As you’re reading this, Kev and I are on a week long vacation to San Francisco to tour the city and visit some dear friends and their teensy tiny completely adorable new baby. We’ve never been and I keep telling Kev I’m afraid to go because I don’t think we’ll want to leave. I’m guessing it will be a similar culture to Austin but with breezy 60 degree temps and an ocean! If you have suggestions for what we should do, SNAP ME on Snapchat @KitschenCat. I’m pretty terrible at keeping up with Snapchat so far, but I’ll do my best to document our trip and I’ll definitely get your personal snaps.
As I said in my last post, it’s been rainy here this week so I’ve had a wave of excitement come over me for Fall and all things cozy, which (of course) includes soup. It’s hatch chile season down here in TX, which is a thing I had never heard of until approximately 8 days ago. Turns out, they’re everywhere and in everything! Once I tried them, I wasn’t complaining one bit. I was craving some soup to get us through the week before flying out, so I created this rendition of a chicken tortilla soup using some Hatch Chile Salsa from Trader Joe’s .
This is a one pot meal and is made so lovely with a base of fresh corn, onions, garlic, rice, tender chicken, and hatch chile salsa then topped all the best things (cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips, lime). It really doesn’t get any easier than throwing everything into one pot and stirring occasionally then only having to wait about 30 minutes before devouring!
Recipe slightly adapted from Life Made Simple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 raw or pre-cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) jar Trader Joe’s Hatch Valley Salsa
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional garnishes:
- Lime wedges
- Avocado chunks
- Crispy tortilla strips
- Sour Cream
- In large stock pot, heat olive oil and add onion, corn, and garlic.
- Saute for 5 minutes until onion starts to soften.
- Add in chicken and spices. Stir to coat.
- Add in salsa, chicken stock, water, and rice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer over low for 15-20 minutes until rice is soft.
- Add in lime juice and serve topped with optional garnishes.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins