No being disappointed by a bland veggie sandwich, these Veggie Pitas with Hummus are PACKED with flavor and texture, making it the perfect light healthy lunch.
I’m not lying when I say this is one of the top 5 favorite sandwiches I’ve had in my life!! I was skeptical when I saw there was no cheese or meat in the recipe — how can it really be called a sandwich without those two?? That was a completely silly thought of mine. It turns out that not only can it be called a sandwich, it can be called a downright amazing one!
This is another recipe I had been wanting to try from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen. Everything I’ve made from this cookbook so far as been so on point. The recipes are very detailed and I’ve been trying to follow them exactly because I know that they’re tested multiple times before they deem them ready for print. All of their hard work really shows because the flavors of the entire dish always meld perfectly and the seasoning is never too much or too little.
P:S: Those are the microgreens from my little pallet garden!! How cute are they??
Okay, let’s dive in. To make this veggie pita you need to have two skills. First of all, you need to know how go to the grocery store and buy the ingredients and secondly, you need to be able to chop a few veggies. Done and done! We can handle that, right?
You’re going to start by whisking together a lemony, olive oil, parsley dressing which then gets tossed with some carrot shreds, red onion (my personal addition), and thinly sliced radishes. You’ll also need to slice some avocado and tomatoes. To assemble, spread your pita bread with your favorite hummus (I used roasted red pepper and garlic hummus), then stuff all your veggies inside and chow down! It really doesn’t get any easier or more convenient for a quick, healthy lunch.
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 4 radishes, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 pita pockets
- 1 cup your favorite hummus
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces micro-greens or alfalfa sprouts
- In medium sized bowl, whisk together parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Toss in shredded carrots, radishes, and red onion.
- To assemble, spread inside of pita pockets with hummus, then layer with tomatoes, avocados, micro-greens, and radish mixture.
- Prep Time: 15 mins