Saturday mornings are my jam. It seems that I’m more motivated, the creative juices are at their peak, and best of all I usually have the entire morning free to cook! These breakfast egg rolls were another by-product of the ingredients I happened to have in my fridge and boy were they a hit.
I had the rice paper wrappers on hand from last time I made the Vietnamese Spring Rolls and had the idea to make a classic egg scramble medley but roll everything up egg roll style! Why not, right?! I wasn’t sure if everything would hold together or if I was just totally off my rocker, but it worked!
Classically, we’re used to the standard hash brown potatoes in our breakfast foods so I wanted to experiment by adding grated sweet potatoes instead. Combined with the salty bacon and spicy chipotle red pepper, it creates a perfect sweet/spicy/salty medley that goes down real nice.
As you start to stuff and roll your breakfast egg rolls, be sure to not overpack them. I’d estimate putting about 1/4 cup of egg mixture onto your rice wrapper, but do as you feel is right. The more stuffing you get, the more likely the wrap won’t be as tight and everything could come loose during the frying process.
…ain’t nobody got time for dat.
Saturday is approaching folks and I highly recommend stocking these ingredients for a super fun weekend brunch recipe!
As always, if you make any of my recipes, be sure to comment, hashtag #kitschencat on instagram, or tag Kitschen Cat on Facebook!Print
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 eggs, whipped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 avocado, smashed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- In large skillet over medium high heat, fry chopped bacon until beginning to crisp.
- Reduce heat to medium and add sweet potato shreds, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Saute until veggies are soft – about 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggs, cheese, and spices. Cook until eggs are fluffy and no longer runny.
- Soften rice paper wrappers in shallow water for 3-5 seconds then spoon approximately ¼ cup of egg filling into the wrapper. Fold in the ends then roll up like a burrito. Repeat for remaining wrappers.
- Heat ½ cup of oil in large skillet on medium high heat until oil is shimmery. Add wrapped egg rolls, fry for 2 minutes on each side, or until wrapper starts to brown and blister.
- Place on paper towels to blot grease and cool before eating.
- Serve with combined mixture of avocado, sour cream, and lime juice.