Migas Breakfast Casserole is a twist on a traditional breakfast egg bake. Tortilla chips create the base and then it gets layered with bacon, salsa, eggs, and other goodies!
Tacos are practically the only food to eat down here in Austin. Well, they’re the only food that really matters – let’s just be real. The first time I had a migas taco, I admit, I was a little confused. My brain was saying, “wait a second, I’m eating a taco with tortillas mixed INTO the filling, but it’s also wrapped in a tortilla…” Say what?? Isn’t that too much tortilla? The answer is no. An emphatic NO.
When asked to bring a breakfast for the day after Thanksgiving with family, I immediately wanted to bring migas. Well, that’s not exactly the most user friendly breakfast for a large gathering, so I started on my quest to make it into a casserole. My first version (which unfortunately was served to family) was just that, a first version. The proportions were a bit off; I put way too many tortilla chips in the bottom and I used chorizo, which isn’t my favorite breakfast meat to begin with. So, this time I nailed the tortilla chip layer and used glorious bacon for my meat. It’s a winner now!
This recipe is a great spin on your traditional breakfast casserole made with bread cubes or hash browns. It brings a little Tex-Mex flare to your table and is sure to please your guests!
Migas Breakfast Casserole
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 1/2 lb bacon, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups salsa (affiliate)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In large skillet, cook bacon pieces until almost crispy and add diced jalapeño and onion. Cook over medium high heat until onion starts to soften.
- Place crushed tortilla chips into baking dish and then layer with cooked bacon and onion mixture.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream of tartar, salt, and black pepper and pour into baking dish.
- Spread salsa over egg mixture and then sprinkle shredded cheese over top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 more minutes to brown cheese.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro, green onion, and avocado.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
Other Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love!
Pressure Cooker Tator Tot Breakfast Casserole
Pressure Cooker 5 Ingredient Breakfast Sandwiches