A savory salad showcasing winter citrus fruit, crispy cabbage, and salted toasty walnuts.
Thursday, okay, here we go. Approximately 15 more work hours and then we’re home free!! Weekend time is always the best, but this weekend it’s even better! Kevin finally got moved into a new position at his company that we’ve been waiting on for 3 months and now there’s no more night and weekend on-call shifts. I feel like it’s been so long since we could just unplug from all devices and have a good old fashioned relaxing weekend, and that’s what we plan to do for the foreseeable future.
Wanna hear something funny? We have a massive Texas Oak tree in our yard that has a bajillion acorns on it, and they’ve conspired together to drop one acorn on our roof at a 30 second interval for the last 3 weeks. I don’t exactly know what material our roof is, but it seems like it’s tin because every acorn drop sounds like a 15lb bowling ball dropping from the heavens and then slowly rolling it’s way (plinko style) down the roof and then onto the ground. Needless to say, I’m done. Just when I get settled in at my desk with some relaxing music, I jump about 2 feet in the air every time one of those darn things drops. One other thing, it’s still 85 degrees here with 2000% humidity, so it’s not like I can even embrace the dropping acorns as the sounds of Fall.
For those of you would don’t know, the Texas seasons are: almost summer, SUMMER, still summer, and Christmas. Yep.
Okay, so now you know why I’m still hanging onto salads. I did utilize some winter citrus fruits though for the rest of you who find yourself settling into the fall/winter groove by now. This is such a yummy salad, guys! It uses napa cabbage, which in my opinion is the perfect mix between full on crunchy green cabbage and a more tender lettuce. I sliced the cabbage really thin and then tossed it with a olive oil, mustard, and citrus juice dressing. Throw in some shallots, citrus chunks, dried cranberries, and salty toasted walnuts, and you’ve got a complete side salad in less than 20 minutes!
Citrus Salad with Dried Cranberries and Toasted Walnuts
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- 2 red grapefruits
- 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (affiliate)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (affiliate)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (affiliate)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (affiliate)
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Trim peel and pith away from citrus fruit and then slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Put in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir and let sit while prepping other ingredients.
- Heat coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat and add walnuts and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir until walnuts start to toast, about 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn! Transfer to paper towel to let cool
- Drain fruit and reserve 2 tablespoons of fruit juice.
- Whisk together reserved fruit juice, shallot, mustard, and olive oil.
- Toss dressing with napa cabbage, cranberries, walnuts, and citrus fruit.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
Other Salad Recipes You’ll Love!
Arugula Salad With Stone Fruit
Blueberry, Arugula, And Toasted Walnut Salad