Pressure Cooker Cashew Chicken with Broccoli is an absolutely delicious dinner that’s nutty, nutritious and bursting with flavor!
My pressure cooker obsession these days has reached a level where when I’m reading through recipes in cookbooks or online, the first thing I consider when looking at the instructions is if it can be adapted for the world’s best kitchen appliance. You’d be surprised at how often the answer is yes! Even if it’s a dish where it really should be finished off in the oven, like with a pan of enchiladas, it’s almost guaranteed that you can make the entire filling in your PC and then transfer to your oven to get the tortillas and cheese nice and crispy bubbly.
In recipes like that, I always debate if it’s worth doing it that way or doing the entire recipe the conventional method and I always seem to come back to the pressure cooker. The reason for this is that while my chicken/rice/beans are cooking all together in the pressure cooker, I can be prepping my tortillas and shredding my cheese without having to stand over the filling on the stovetop. It’s completely hands off this way and allows me to do more for the rest of the dish or whip up a salad.
Cashew chicken is a dish that you might feel inclined to make on your stovetop, but when you can make everything in one pot (hello no dishes) and the cook time is 3 minutes, I see no reason to do it any other way! I even cooked my rice inside THE SAME POT at the SAME TIME as the chicken. I have plans to do a post on this pot in pot method in the future, but if you want the basics now, here’s what you do: set your trivet on top of your chicken, then place a small heat proof dish on top of the trivet. Stir together 1 cup of water and 1 cup of rice, then lock your lid and cook everything for 3 minutes with a quick release. When the time is up, your entire meal is ready! How can this be true? How is your life not changed??
This cashew chicken can be spiced up or spiced down based on the amount of red chili paste and you can use any of your favorite vegetables in place of or in addition to the broccoli.
Please be sure to tag Kitschen Cat on Instagram or Facebook if you give it a try!
Pressure Cooker Cashew Chicken with Broccoli
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (affiliate)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (affiliate)
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (affiliate)
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste (affiliate)
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- In pressure cooker, sauté onion and garlic in oil until starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and red chili paste.
- Stir until chicken in completely coated, then lock lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When time is up, do a quick release and add broccoli and cashews.
- Turn pressure cooker onto sauté setting and place lid back on top.
- Let simmer and steam for 3 minutes, then remove lid and stir in cornstarch slurry.
- Stir until sauce thickens then serve on white or brown rice.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Other Chicken and Rice Recipes to Try!
Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken Stir Fry
Pressure Cooker Caribbean Chicken and Rice Bowl
Pressure Cooker Cuban Chicken and Rice
Summertime Mango Chicken Curry With Pressure Cooker Coconut Rice