Pressure Cooker Cuban Chicken and Rice is an aromatic one pot mixture of peppers, onion, tomato sauce, and spices cooked with juicy drumsticks.
Hey friends! How was your thanksgiving? Did you eat entirely too much and are craving a dinner that isn’t laden with sugar and bacon fat? Is it just me? Well, if you’re with me on that one, I’ve got this lovely Pressure Cooker Cuban Chicken and Rice recipe for you today! The original recipe comes from Linda Ly’s New Camp Cookbook that I made this Chicken Fajita Pasta dish from a few months back. It really is a fantastic cookbook and I’m loving cooking my way slowly through.
The recipe was originally created to be made in a stockpot, but it adapted great for the pressure cooker! The only thing you might want to be aware of is that it’s impossible to get the chicken skin nice and crisp when cooking in the PC, but if you want to crisp it up just throw it under the broiler after you take it out of your pressure cooker.
It’s a perfect weeknight meal that the whole family will love!Print
Slightly adapted from Linda Ly’s New Camp Cookbook
- 5 skin-on, chicken legs
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin , divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 teaspoon cumin.
- Heat olive oil in pressure cooker on sauté setting until hot, then add chicken legs skin side down. Brown for 4 minutes per side then remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, green pepper, poblano pepper, and garlic to pressure cooker. Sauté for 3-4 minutes then add oregano, turmeric, bay leaf, remaining salt and pepper, and tomato sauce.
- Sauté for 2-3 more minutes then add rice, beer, and chicken broth.
- Lay legs on top of rice mixture, lock lid, and set to high pressure for 9 minutes.
- When time is up, let pressure naturally release then remove chicken.
- Turn onto simmer setting and add peas and cilantro. Stir until peas are heated through then serve rice topped with a chicken leg.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins