Sweet and Sour Tofu is sweet, sassy, vegan, and ready to eat in under 30!
Hey y’all! We’re halfway through vegetarian month here at Kitschen Cat. I know I promised you all pressure cooker recipes from here on out, but sometimes you just gotta make exceptions. Especially when you learn that tofu doesn’t do so well in the pressure cooker. If you’re okay eating it a little soggy without that nice crisp on the outside, by all means, cook this whole recipe in your pressure cooker. But, I have a tupperware full of sweet and sour tofu made completely in the PC and it’s just been sitting in there for 6 days now, unopened, because it just looks gross to me. That’s all there is to it! Ha!
So, I turned back to my trusty old stovetop with a nonstick skillet for this ONE recipe. I hope you don’t mind!
This sweet and sour tofu recipe was ever so slightly adapted from Eating Well, and I absolutely can’t get enough of it! In my opinion, the secret to some uber crispy tofu is to squeeze ALL the water out, then freeze the cubes on a baking sheet for at least 30 minutes. Then, toss them in a wee bit of cornstarch, plop them in the marinade, and fry the heck out of them! I used coconut oil to fry in this recipe because it goes well with asian flavors AND it’s just better for you.
I think you’re really going to enjoy this recipe, and if you do, don’t forget to share with a friend and then take a pic and tag Kitschen Cat on Insta!
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
Recipe slightly adapted from Eating Well
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks, packed in juice
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (affiliate)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (affiliate)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (affiliate)
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, drained, rinsed, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (affiliate), divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch square pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch square pieces
- Freeze cubed tofu on a large baking sheet for 30 minutes
- Whisk together 1/4 cup of pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl until smooth.
- Toss tofu in 1 teaspoon cornstarch, then add to medium sized bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the sauce mixture, toss, and let marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the tofu to the pan, leaving any remaining sauce in the small bowl.
- Cook the tofu, stirring every 1-2 minutes until golden brown on all sides. This will take 10-12 minutes.
- Remove tofu to a plate then add remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to large skillet.
- Add garlic, ginger, and bell peppers, cook over high heat until just tender. About 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in reserved sauce and cook, stirring gently until thickened. About 1 minute.
- Add tofu and pineapple chunks, stir until warm, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice if desired!
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Other Vegetarian Recipes You’ll Love!
Pressure Cooker Vegetarian Red Beans And Rice
Pressure Cooker Veggie Burger Filling
Pressure Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Roll-Ups
Pressure Cooker Pinto Bean and Chard Burritos