Pressure Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Roll-Ups – so fun, packed with veggies, ricotta, and parmesan. You’re gonna love these!
Good morning friends! Today launches our month of meatless, ALL pressure cooker recipes. I hope you’re as excited about this as I am. Kev and I have had a natural leaning to eat less meat in the month of January and this year is no exception. We’re not going completely vegetarian, but my rule is that I don’t buy any meat for our dinner meals unless we’re having friends over. This also doesn’t exclude using meat living in our freezer, but I’m not one who freezes a ton of meat anyways. At my last check we have one frozen chicken breast and a lb of turkey sausage in there. So, if we get a craving for some meat, I have the liberty to pull those out.
On the whole though, we’ll be eating vegetarian. I’d estimate about 85%/15% (the 15 is for going out to eat, eating over at friend’s houses, or hosting people at ours).
I was in a mindset in the past that eating vegetarian meant eating “weird” things like tofu and tempeh and other meat substitutes. Yes, you can go that route, or you can get your protein in other things like legumes, nuts, some vegetables, grains, eggs, etc! I prefer to have the bulk of my protein come from those sources, but HAVE been experimenting more with tofu lately so you’ll see a recipe or two pop up with tofu as the star.
I hope you feel eased into eating vegetarian this month when you see these luscious cheese and veggie filled lasagna roll-ups! It doesn’t seem so hard when you’re eating like this, right? These roll-ups are so fun to make and once prepped take just 3 minutes in your pressure cooker! This would be a great project to let your kids do a little help in the kitchen. One can help spread the ricotta filling, one can scoop the veggies onto the noodle, and another can do the rolling. It’s a team affair! If you’re rebelling or if you have someone in your family who needs meat with their meal, you can easily cook up a little sausage or hamburger and roll it up with the rest of the cheese and veggies.
I’m really excited for this month! You can expect to get 3 meatless recipes per week that have been tested and given the stamp of approval by us! I’d also love to know when you’ve made anything, so be sure to leave a comment below, shoot me an email, or tag KitschenCat on Insta.
Let’s do this!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 15 oz jar your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- **Toppings: 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In your pressure cooker or a large skillet, sauté onion, zucchini, and bell pepper in olive oil until soft.
- Add Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Stir then remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg, ricotta, parmesan, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lay cooked lasagna noodles out onto a large surface coated with a little cooking spray (I like to use a cutting board).
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of your ricotta mixture onto the length of the lasagna noodle then sprinkle with about an 1/8 cup of cooked veggies.
- Carefully roll lasagna noodle up until it looks like a cinnamon roll, then place into a lightly greased pressure cooker safe baking dish. I like to use my springform pan.
- Repeat with remaining noodles, ricotta, and veggies until baking dish is full.
- Pour 1 cup of water into pressure cooker then place trivet inside.
- Cover the noodles with pasta sauce then lower onto trivet inside pressure cooker.
- Lock lid and set to high pressure for 3 minutes. When time is up, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before releasing remaining pressure.
- **If you would like a crispy noodle, place on the broil setting in your oven for 5 minutes to crisp the top and sides.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.