Pressure Cooker Poor Man’s Potato Soup is hearty, delicious, extra creamy, and less than $1 per serving!
I’m so excited for so many of you who finally got that Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker this Christmas! I hope you fall in love with it as I have and it buys back some time you usually spend in the kitchen or thinking about what you’ll be making for dinner.
One of my favorite things to make in my pressure cooker is soup. Soup of all kinds! Chilis and stews and noodle soups, veggie soups, purees, creamy soups, chunky soups, highly involved soups, and easier than easy. All of them, no matter what type, always turn out perfectly in the pressure cooker! This Poor Man’s Potato Soup was a recipe I came across from another blogger, Gimme Some Oven. She does a version that she calls 5 ingredient potato soup and it looked so simple and CHEAP that during the month of December when we were spending more money than a normal month, I made it a few times for dinner.
I have to admit, the first time I dumped in the bag of frozen hash browns and poured in the green onions and chicken broth, it looked so sad and watery and puny sitting there in my Instant Pot. But, I pressed forward, set it to high pressure for 5 minutes, and then continued on and stirred in the cream and cheese. Ohhhh my goodness did it surprise me! I served it to Kevin and he raved about it at the beginning, but even more when he figured out what the ingredients were. Anytime I can make an entire pot of creamy, comforting potato soup for far less than $1/serving and it’s a crowd favorite, I’m sold! It’s one of those recipes that isn’t fancy by any means, but it’s solidly good and in the words of Kevin, “I knew exactly what I wanted, and it’s exactly what I got.”
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 green onions
- 30 oz frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- **Extra green onions and grated cheddar cheese for topping
- Pour chicken broth into pressure cooker, then add green onions, hash browns, salt and pepper.
- Lock lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When time is up, let sit for 5 minutes then release all remaining pressure.
- Turn onto sauté or simmer setting and stir in heavy cream.
- Sprinkle in cheddar cheese, stirring constantly to break up any chunks. Continue stirring until all cheese is melted and soup has thickened up.
- Serve sprinkled with extra cheddar cheese and sliced green onions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins