A classic favorite of mine, chicken is pressure cooked in only 5 minutes, while bell peppers and onion are being charred on the grill, creating a deliciously charred and smokey flavor.
Before we get to the recipe, I just need to brain fart some things on you.
#1. I finished Gilmore Girls last night. Not sure how I feel about that situation seeing as how I’ve been hanging out with Rory and Lorelai for the last couple of months. The ending didn’t blow me away, but it was sweet and emotional and thank goodness that Lorelai ended up with ________. Don’t wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn’t finished!
#2. I’ve been reading A LOT lately. Well, I read 4 books in the last 2 weeks (sssssshhhh, don’t tell anyone that they were skinny little YA books). Whatever, it still counts! I read through The Giver series by Lois Lowry and was completely blown away by the worlds she managed to create and how she was a pioneer of sorts for all the similar dystopian novels that have been popping up the last few years.
#3. What should I read next?? Suggestions?
#4. We no longer have a grill 🙁 We had one on loan from some friends (which was super duper nice of them), but they moved and were able to get it back, so now we’re grill-less! It’s been getting hotter and more humid down here in Austin and I’m not sure I’ll make it through the summer without being able to grill. I’ve been looking on Craiglist and such, but we can’t agree on whether to go with gas or charcoal. Advice?
#5. I’m listening through the Hamilton soundtrack this morning and am intrigued! Has anyone seen the musical yet?? I’m excited to see it once tickets go down… probably in about 8 years :/
#6. Fajitas are the best.
I know fajitas are ultra simple and you’re thinking you don’t need another recipe for them, but do you char your peppers? Do you cook your chicken in the pressure cooker so it literally shreds itself?? Do you spend a few extra minutes chopping up some extra toppings to make them super duper extra yummy??? All of those little additional steps are necessary in my opinion to make the perfect fajitas.
Fajitas are such a perfect dinner and a great option to make when friends come over! Seriously, who doesn’t like them?? Best of all, with the pressure cooker and grill combination, it won’t heat up your house and clean-up is incredibly easy! I have some easy spanish rice coming up on the blog this week which will be a great pairing to serve with these fajitas.
P:S: Don’t forget to pin the recipe and also follow me on Snapchat @KitschenCat for behind the scenes looks!
- 4 Frozen Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon fajita seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 Bell Peppers (I used Red and Yellow)
- 1 Large Red Onion, quartered
- 4 Large Tortillas
- **Toppings: Shredded Cheese, Salsa, Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt, Chopped Cilantro, Shredded Romaine
- Place frozen chicken breasts in pressure cooker and sprinkle with fajita seasoning and salt and pepper. Add quartered onion and whole cloves then cover with chicken broth.
- Lock lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes with a natural pressure release. If any pressure remains after a 10 minute natural release, do a quick release to release the rest of the pressure.
- While chicken is cooking, grill whole bell peppers and quartered red onion, rotating until each side is charred and soft. **If you don't have a grill, you can use a cast iron skillet on the stove.
- Shred cooked chicken and spoon into tortilla then top with charred veggies and other desired toppings.
7 Day Pressure Cooker Meal Plan!
Sign Up for 7 Dinners, 1 Dessert, 1 Breakfast, and a Complete Shopping List!