I’m a Nebraska girl. Well, a Nebraska girl transplanted to Minnesota, but my roots are still in NE nonetheless. Like any respectable Nebraskan, I’m a corn snob. When you grow up at a home with fields of corn on one side and soybeans on the other, you attend school literally in the middle of cornfields, and your daily drives anywhere takes you through field after field of corn on top of corn, you can’t really help but be picky.
So, when I had an idea to make a simple chicken slider last week, I knew it just HAD to include some fresh sweet corn and cabbage slaw. Because, really, what’s summer without some tender, juicy, burn your mouth because you can’t wait for it to cool sweet corn??
This recipe was actually birthed in 3 parts. Part 1 included discovering this Copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce a few weeks ago before going camping and deciding it was literally the best thing ever when coupled with a juicy turkey burger. Part 2 was coming across this recipe on Pinterest and drooling for 10 seconds before whipping it up to take to a BBQ night with friends. It was a hit and I knew it needed to be made again very soon! So, naturally there needed to be a part 3, and that would include a juicy chicken slider with all the goodness of the charred corn salad and chick-fil-a sauce drizzled over top.
How fun is this curly cabbage??
I’m super in love with this sandwich you guys. You know that semi obnoxious question you get asked every now and then regarding “if you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?” Well, I think I’ve found mine! Ice cream has always been my answer, but if we’re going to try and eat something that’s a fairly well balanced meal, I’ll definitely be picking this!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 small buns
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 ears corn, shucked
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
Copycat Chick Fil-A Sauce
- Start by cutting each chicken breast in half lengthwise, and then carefully cut those smaller pieces into half horizontally. You should end up with 8 fillets about ½ inch thick.
- Mix together spices and sprinkle liberally on both sides of the breasts.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil at medium high heat in a large skillet (I prefer cast iron). Add chicken breasts in a single layer and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. They will be nice and browned on the outside but tender and juicy inside!
- To prepare slaw, place shucked corn in a large skillet with oil. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until corn starts to char, about 5-10 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine shredded cabbage, red onion, cilantro, mayo, salt, jalapeno, lime juice, and charred corn. Mix well.
- Mix together all ingredients for Chick Fil A sauce
- Toast buns, assemble sandwich with chicken breast, slaw, and sauce, enjoy!!