Your favorite pizza ingredients combined with a cheesy ricotta and mozzarella filling, then stuffed into a pasta shell and topped with homestyle Ragú sauce!
I’m in love, big time. At the Van Slyke house it’s mandatory that we eat pizza at least once a week, usually on Friday. The classic pizza is a homemade crust topped with pepperoni, italian sausage, green bell peppers, onion, and mozzarella cheese. We stray from the classic every once in awhile, but I always find myself coming back to it for a slice of familiarity. This month I’m partnering with Ragú again to bring you all my favorite pizza ingredients, but this time stuffed into a pasta shell and covered with their new homestyle pasta sauce. This sauce is so thick and yummy and it hugs the noodles in all the right places 🙂
I’ve been turned off by a lot of pasta sauces in the past because they don’t have any oomph to then! Oftentimes it’s a smooth puree that looks more like a tomato soup than a thick sauce that was built by layering a variety of spices and veggies. What I love about most about the Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce that I chose to use for this recipe is that it was built on a base of basil, fennel, oregano and black pepper to layer and increase the flavor.
These shells are the kind of dinner that your kids will go crazy for, your husband will be excited to heat up for leftovers the next day, and you’ll secretly eat 6 of them before they even make it to the oven! It’s a family friendly meal and a great way to mix up the pizza routine by adding those flavors to a baked pasta dish.Print
- 1 lb large pasta shells
- 1/2 lb italian sausage
- 4 oz chopped pepperoni
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar Thick and Hearty Traditional Homestyle Ragu
- Cook pasta according to package directions and then drain and set aside on parchment paper.
- In large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink in the center. Add in pepperoni, onion, and bell pepper. Stir and cook over medium heat until veggies are soft.
- While veggies and sausage are cooking, stir together ricotta, eggs, parsley, mozzarella, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Fold in veggies and sausage mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and pour half of Thick and Hearty Traditional Homestyle Ragu into 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Fill shells with cheese mixture and place open side up in baking dish. Repeat with remaining shells and then top with remaining pasta sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, and broil for 5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and pasta is starting to brown on the edges.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins