This picture, my friends, is what happens pretty much every time before I cook. Kevin has a sixth sense to know that I’m about to go into a cooking frenzy and starts up on the dishes. (I’m kind of a tornado in the kitchen, and this guy puts up with it!) At least the cat keeps him company…
There’s a bit of a craze right now for using veggies to create a delicious, gluten free (or minimal gluten) crust. I decided to use sweet potatoes as the base for my crust. Super easy and sooo delicious!
By the way, here’s a quick side note on sweet potatoes vs. yams according to TheKitchn.
Sweet potatoes = Firm sweet potato with golden skin and lighter flesh.
Yams = Soft sweet potato with a copper skin and deep orange flesh.
Now we know!
Sssshhhh, I bought yams. Don’t tell anyone.
If this pizza could talk, it would be saying “Oh don’t worry, you can eat all 8 pieces on your own because I’m practically 80% vegetables.” Uhm ok.
I believe you pizza. Get in my belly.
I love buying Kale from Trader Joe’s because I save so many minutes having to strip the leaves off the rib. It’s all ready to go and keeps in the fridge for forever!
Look at that crust and that color!! I’m in love.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ cups wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup shredded cheese **Italian blend preferred
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- ⅓ cup of feta
- Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan and add peeled and chopped sweet potatoes.
- Boil on medium-high until soft.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Add cheese, egg, and mashed sweet potatoes. Mix until well combined
- Using a spatula, spread dough into circle on parchment paper lined pizza pan. Crust should be approximately ½-1 inch thick.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until crust is cooked all the way through.
- Simmer tomatoes, onion, and pepper flakes in covered saucepan for 20 minutes.
- Fry turkey bacon in skillet until browned.
- Spoon cooked sauce mixture onto baked crust, add chopped turkey bacon and kale, then sprinkle with feta.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or until feta is soft and bubbly and kale is starting to crisp.