Extra creamy, delicious, and cheesy, this homemade macaroni and cheese is the recipe to turn to for ultimate goodness.
Here it is! Another life changing pressure cooker recipe. I hadn’t used my pressure cooker to make pasta until I came across this super simple macaroni and cheese recipe from America’s Test Kitchen’s Pressure Cooker Perfection cookbook. I secretly thought to myself, “Really? Are we so impatient that we need to speed up the cooking time of pasta? It only takes 10 minutes on the stove!” I was so wrong. With pasta it’s not all about the cook time for me, because honestly, it takes the same amount of time as the stove. For me, it’s the fact that I don’t need to be stirring and watching my pasta so it doesn’t boil over, all the while sampling noodles every few minutes until it’s done. In the pressure cooker you don’t have to worry about it boiling over, you can be prepping other parts of your dinner while it’s cooking, and it turns out perfectly al dente every time!
With this recipe, you can choose your favorite type of noodles ( I think these gemelli noodles are adorable), then all you need to do is add it to your pressure cooking pot along with water and a few spices. It will cook at high pressure for 5 minutes and you can be shredding your cheese and opening your cans of evaporated milk. After it’s cooked, remove the lid, switch it to the browning setting, and add your evaporated milk, stirring to thicken.
**Side note. Another awesome thing about pressure cooker pasta – there’s no draining out the liquid! It will soak it all up while cooking.
The last step is to add in your favorite cheese. I used basic extra sharp cheddar and monterey jack, but you can use whatever you have on hand! Preferably a cheese that doesn’t have a hard time melting.
Voila! A super easy weeknight dinner that is sooo completely irresistible.
- 1 package (16 oz) gemelli pasta or macaroni noodles
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter **Optional
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In pressure cooker, combine pasta, water, butter, salt, mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- Lock lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When time is up, do a quick release and turn on browning setting.
- Add evaporated milk and stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes. The liquid will start to thicken.
- Turn pressure cooker off and sprinkle cheese into pasta, stirring constantly so that cheese doesn’t clump together.
- Add 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt, stir and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins