The strong and vibrant flavors of garlic roasted with zucchini, then topped with greek yogurt and mint make the perfect easy dip for crackers!
I’m guessing you’re falling into one of two camps right now. You’re either thinking, zucchini mashed into a pulp and spread on a cracker?? EEWW??!! Or, you’re thinking, wow, look at that caramelized goodness with the creamy yogurt dolloped on top. Get in my belly right now.
You should totally be thinking the second one.
I have to admit, I was skeptical. I wanted to try this dip and was so conflicted while it was cooking because the smell was making me drool like crazy, but I couldn’t get over the unappetizing look of it. I got over myself and slathered a big bite on a brioche toast and was immediately sold!
The recipe comes from an amazing cookbook called Honey & Co.: The Cookbook that’s a collection of Middle Eastern recipes that are to die for. I’ve tried 3 of them so far and have been loving new combinations of flavors I’ve never experimented with! The recipes are so comforting and many of them only use a few ingredients but turn into something magical.
If you’ve got a zucchini on hand, I’ll betcha you have the rest of the ingredients to whip up this dip in no time. It takes minimal cooking skills – so easy, a caveman can do it! 🙂
Recipe from Honey & Co.: The Cookbook
- 2 large zucchini
- 6 cloves garlic, whole and smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 mint sprigs
- Remove the stem from the zucchini and slice in half lengthwise, then cut into 3/4 inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet (I prefer my cast iron) over medium high heat, heat olive oil then add zucchini and whole, smashed garlic cloves.
- Sprinkle with salt, then cover pan and let cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove lid and mix well, mashing zucchini as you go.
- Reduce heat to medium and let cook for another 30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes until zucchini and garlic is completely softened and turning to a mushy pulp.
- If your mixture is starting to stick to your skillet, add the 2 tablespoons of water.
- Remove from heat, spread dip into a serving dish and dollop with yogurt and garnish with mint.
- Serve with crackers!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins